Biggest Hoax Ever Perpetrated on the American People
A few months ago, I was talking to a friend (a physical therapist) when the question of climate change arose. She said it was “the biggest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people.” I don’t think I asked why just Americans, and not the whole world. It’s probably just as well.
Greenhouse Effect? Well, No. Not Really
As we spoke, I asked if she understood how the greenhouse effect works. She didn’t. In fact, she hadn’t really thought about it before.
This is beyond my understanding.
I’ve never understood this phenomenon. How can somebody be so certain of something he or she knows nothing about?
This is just a short video (4:09). It can’t tell you everything you need to know about climate change, but the Science Guy packs a lot into four minutes.
I can’t embed this video, but it’s worth clicking here to see it. While you’re there, read the short article, too. It’s very basic stuff, but stuff an awful lot of people (included educated ones) don’t seem to know.
Climate change is real, and it’s bad.
Climate change is real, folks. We are causing it. It’s terribly important. And no, this is not just one of the natural changes the planet cycles through every few thousand years. Bill Nye the Science Guy explains why climate change is much more than a buzzword. “It’s a real and serious issue,” he says.
- Contrary to what you probably keep hearing, ten of the last 13 years were the hottest on record worldwide.
- With 92% of the year gone, 2015 is on course to be the hottest year ever recorded.
- The planet’s overall temperature has increased 1.2 to 1.4 degrees Fahrenheit over the past century. That may seem like a small amount, but most of that increase has been in the last few years. In other words, the world is getting hotter faster.
- A very substantial amount of the excess carbon dioxide in the air is dissolving in the planet’s oceans, lakes, rivers, and streams, turning them into acid. This is already beginning to dissolve the shells of clams, oysters, and other shellfish. Who knows how many species will eventually disappear from the waters because of this?
- Rising seawater is ALREADY threatening several small island nations.
- And 97 percent of climate scientists worldwide say this potential and real devastation has been caused by human activity.
Start here with Climate Change 101, but don’t stop here. This is just the stuff every 6th grader ought to understand, but most adults don’t. An educated adult ought to know far more about it than what you’ll see here. Watch this blog for more from time to time.